- GRIERSON AWARD WINNER – British Documentary Awards for Best Student Doc 2013
- DOUBLE AWARD win + Special Award from President Goodluck Jonathan for Best Film of the Festival Africa International Film Fest
- IDA Award Nomination 2013 – Directors Guild of America for Best Student Film International Documentary Awards
- Sheff Doc Fest – World Prem – Sodiq Nominated for Best Student Doc
- FILM AFRICA 2013 Nominated for Best Short Film at Film Africa 2013
- Hollywood Black Film Festival – October 2013 – Nominated: Film Diaspora
In 2008 Sodiq dreamt of going to University and becoming a doctor. Fast-forward five years and he is on trial for murder. Director Adeyemi, having a unique bond with Sodiq through setting up a football team on their council estate together, made a film celebrating Sodiq’s dream of becoming a doctor, stating at the time, he didn’t want to end up in jail.
Adeyemi Michael is a Grierson Award winning Director of ‘Sodiq’ born in Lagos, Nigeria, who grew up in London. He is 2013 MA Documentary Directing graduate (Leverhulme Scholar) from the coveted National Film & Television School (UK). Starting out as football manager setting up community projects from 2004, this youth work has seen him travel the UK and USA working with young people, securing funding to make independent films and running other projects.
Winning the prestigious Grierson (British Documentary Award) Adeyemi has also won a double award at The Africa International Film Festival where he was specially awarded by Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan for best film at the festival for ‘Sodiq’ (see synopsis and trailer below). His work has also caught the attention of those in the U.S and he has also been nominated for an IDA Award (International Documentary Award) in L.A. at the Directors Guild Of America. With a raft of award wins and nominations on his side he is adamant on creating social change amongst communities Internationally and to have a lasting legacy with his films. Having honed and developed his understanding of storytelling and cinematography at the NFTS, ‘Sodiq’, his graduation film, has been privately screened at The House Of Commons by MP Diane Abbott and also at the TATE Modern.
For more info on the creative & enterprising Adeyemi:
FESTIVALS & AWARDS
‘Sodiq’ is a National Film & Televsion School 2013 production. NFTS